In partnership with Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation, we offer Flatwater Kayaking to encourage physical fitness, nature exploration, and adventure.
The Flatwater program is open to those ages 13 and up.
Athletes MUST meet the following Essential Eligibility Criteria:
1. Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
2. Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
3. Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
4. Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
5. Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
6. Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
7. Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket
Kayaking with Sportable allows me to get out into nature, something that can be extremely difficult for a wheelchair user. Once I’m in a kayak, I can explore all that the James River has to offer while getting a great workout.